Gender and Women's Studies Courses
For a listing of the courses offered in the Department of Gender and Women's Studies, please visit the UW Undergraduate Catalog: Department of Gender and Women's Studies.
For a listing of the courses currently offered in this and/or upcoming semesters, please visit the Schedule of Classes. Please note that the Timetable will no longer be published after December 2009.
For a complete history of the course offerings in Gender and Women's Studies, please visit My Course Guide in MyUW.
FALL 2013 REGISTRATION & ENROLLMENT INFORMATION
Priority Enrollment for GWS MAJORS
Only Gender and Women's Studies MAJORS can register for the courses below through Tuesday, April 16th, the last day of junior registration. Any remaining seats in these courses will be opened up for general registration on Wednesday, April 17th, 2013.
The introductory courses, GWS 101 and 102 are not blocked to general registration. For the first time ever, GWS 103 will be held for GWS majors AND GWS certificate students during the hold period. Please select the discussion that you are able to attend as no accommodations for switching section will be made.
GWS 280, 310, 325, 340, 370, 441, 420, 421, 441 and 533 will be held for majors during priority enrollment.
Waiting List Procedure
If you would like to potentially enroll in GWS 310, 325, 340, 370, 441, 420, 421, 441 and 533 and see that the course is full/closed, you will need to get on the course's waiting list.
Waiting lists for these courses will now be accessed through your Student Center when you register for courses.
- If you see that a course is closed AND you meet the pre-requisites for the course you are eligible to be placed on the course's waiting list through your enrollment center.
- If you are offered a seat off of the waiting list, you will be contacted by Diane Walton giving you permission to enroll.
- Once you have been granted permission to enroll, you MUST enroll in the course within TWO days otherwise you will lose your seat in the course.
GWS 640 requires pre-authorization to enroll, the form is listed below.
Authorization to Enroll in GWS 640: Capstone Seminar in Gender and Women's Studies (Majors Only)
- GWS 640, Advanced Seminar, requires pre-authorization for all students who wish to enroll.
- Graduating majors should either:
- Complete a purple form provided outside 3318 Sterling Hall labeled '640 Authorization Form'
- In either case, follow the directions on the form and return it (electronically or hard copy) to Diane Walton in 3321 Sterling Hall or at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is the only way to register for GWS 640. After Diane has authorized you, you will still need to enroll in the course. Please return the form ASAP.
GWS Certificate and Major Requirements - Fall 2013
Biology/Health: GWS 103(N), 533(B)
Humanities: GWS 101(E), 200, 222(E), 245(E), 248, 270, 280(E), 310, 324, 340, 366, 370, 421, 441, 519, 595, 624
Social Science: 102(E), 200, 245(E), 325, 340, 420, 424, 431, 441, 519, 522,
Theory (majors only): 441
International/Multicultural Perspectives (majors only): 248, 324, 325, 366, 420, 424, 595
Only two elementary (E) level courses can count towards the GWS certificate.
Only 101 or 102 and 103 can count towards teh GWS major.
The schedule of classes can be found in either the Course Guide or Class Search.
GWS Internship Program
GWS offers a variety of internship opportunities for students. For more information on these online, seminar and global internship opportunities, please visit the GWS Internship Program.
For more information, including application materials, please contact the instructor, Nina Valeo Cooke.
The department keeps an electronic "bank" of current and past syllabi. Click on the semesters below to access these syllabi.